From master plan to realisation
Frischli Milchwerke GmbH in Rehburg- Loccum produces a wide range of fresh dairy products at its site near Hanover. More than 500 employees produce yoghurt, cream and pudding amongst other things. Since the 60s the dairy has grown continuously. With a monthly delivery of 25,000 tonnes and a dispatch of approx. 1,200 pallets per day, the capacity limits of the existing technology have already been reached.
The task Initially, the food producer assigned the advisors from viaLog with the creation of a master plan, to extend the factory in Loccum. The targets were to
- Extend the production site,
- Integrate the partly temporarily outsourced packaging materials in the Loccum factory,
- Eliminate the lack of general and commissioning spaces in the goods-out area and
- Optimisation and supplementation of the warehouse management system.
Then, frischli took on the logistics advisor as a general planner for the realisation of the concept.
viaLog created a master plan for the maximum expansion of the logistics department. It was set up in such a way that frischli could carry out the expansion step by step, as needed. The master plan included amongst other things
- a consistent flow of materials,
- layout planning for the maximum expansion and
- the procedure to realise the expansion in ongoing operation
The master plan was created in three phases: initially the planners from viaLog identified the important data of the frischli warehouse, as a calculation basis. Then, together with frischli, they compared the relevant logistics systems. Finally, the master plan formed the project result.
Over a period of ten years, frischli developed its logistics department. The company thereby oriented itself towards the master plan and implemented it step by step, adapted to the company development. viaLog supported frischli during this time, with detailed plans of the individual warehouse components, carrying out tenders and supervising the implementation. The project was divided into three expansion stages:
- Expansion of the high rack warehouse (HRW) with three aisles in a new build, restructuring and revitalization of the existing conveying technology, optimization of the warehouse management system
- Concept and detailed planning of the new warehouse for powder, packaging material and raw materials, auxiliary materials and operating materials (RAO), expansion of the HRW with two further aisles
- Realisation of the mobile racking system for powder, packaging materials and RAO
- Tailor made warehouse through neutral planning: frischli and viaLog first of all identified the logistical needs of the dairy, before involving manufacturers in the project. In this way, the best logistics system for the dairy was selected objectively.
- Simple expandability: In the first expansion stage of the HRW, the next construction stage was already conceptually planned and structurally prepared. The further expansion could therefore be carried out without complications and in an investment-friendly manner.
- Complexity reduction in spite of warehouse expansion: In spite of the extensive expansion, viaLog simplified frischli’s logistics.The connection of all HRW aisles to a large conveying technology circuit, facilitated the material flow and enabled rearrangements. At the same time, by lifting the conveying technology onto the 1st floor, new transport paths could be created for the vehicle commissioning.